MENA Hybrid Solar System
Energy demand in all MENA countries is rising 5–10% pa. Most MENA countries satisfy their energy demand with fossil resources despite the fact that there is an excellent availability and quality of solar radiation. Yet the implementation of renewable energies in the MENA region is developing slowly. One reason for this is among others low confidence in the base load capacity of renewables. This project aims to support the implementation of solar energy systems in the MENA region by following a holistic approach covering aspects of cost, reliability and dispatchability. A combination of PV (Photovoltaics) and CSP (Concentrating Solar Power) systems is investigated, in order to harvest the advantages of both systems: easy installation and low LCOE (levelized cost of electricity) for PV, versatility and dispatchability of CSP. The main objectives of the project HyMenSo are:
- The continuation of the multilateral cooperation towards the innovative application of solar technologies adapted to the MENA region’s market.
- Create a data base of relevant local conditions for CSP and PV plants, such as meteorological data, industry capacity, energy demand, current energy production, and grid capacity.
- Develop country specific solar energy roadmaps and concepts for combination of PV and CSP.
- Enhance local content.
- Address true demands and requirements of the MENA countries.
- Knowledge transfer and capacity building among the partner countries both on the academic and industrial level.
- Achieve successful demonstration in commercial applications with the optimal combination of available technologies.
The consortium with R&D institutions from Tunisia, Algeria, Greece , Germany, and Jordan is particularly eligible to conduct these activities because it is a well-established network from the enerMENA project. The enerMENA project (2009 – 2014) funded by the German ministry for foreign affairs, was initiated in order to pave the way for the DESERTEC.
More details about the project can be found in: www.hymenso.eu